How my
optimism helps me overcome obstacles
By: Celia Smith
1.4
million people are diagnosed with cancer each year. I never thought my grandmother would be one
of them. My grandmother was diagnosed with cancer two years ago, she’s gone
through chemo-therapy once and right now she is going through it for her second
time. I remember when she found out she had cancer. My family was visiting her
in Texas and she knew she was sick but she wasn’t sure what it was. After we
left she was diagnosed with cervical cancer, cervical cancer is the most common
cancer for women. She is a strong women and I believe she can beat cancer..
Today I’m going to tell you about how optimism is helping me over come this
obstacle every day.
My grandmother- “Granny Annie” as my family calls her- has
been struggling with cancer for a while now, I’ve learned to work through this
by looking at the positives. Such as, my family has been growing a lot closer
since she was diagnosed. We are able to visit her more often since then and I’m
really happy about that. I’ve gotten to know her better and I’ve also become
very close to her which I don’t think it would of happened, sadly, if she
wasn’t diagnosed.
When I found out she had cancer, it made me realize that we actually
have been very blessed that we still have her here today because I know a lot
of people have lost their grandparents already. It could have been much worse,
she could have had a heart attack, or she could have been diagnosed with an
even more severe disease. I’m just glad she’s still here today. It also has
made me appreciate having her as a grandmother. She is such an
inspiration, going through all of this and not giving up makes me proud to be
able to call her my grandmother.
Something positive that’s come of this is not necessarily
for me, but for my father. I know that my father and my grandmother have never
really had the best relationship, him growing up with his father since his
parents divorced when he was at a young age didn’t allow him and his mom to
create a good solid relationship. But since she was diagnosed my father has
been spending a lot more time with her and they have been getting along a lot
better. I think that if she was never diagnosed my dad would never really get
around to visiting her as often as he does now and they would never get a
chance to bond.
Remember the 1.4 million people that I mentioned in the
beginning of my speech that were diagnosed with cancer? Well, 55% of those
people lived! And that’s a big portion if you think about it. I believe my
grandmother, Granny Annie is a part of that 55%. ”once you chose hope, anything
is possible.” –Christopher reeve once said. Being positive has helped me
through a lot of obstacles, like this one and many others. If you look at everything
as the glass is half full everything will become easier. But if you look at
everything like the glass is half empty itwill seem ten times worse than it
actually is! So stay on the positive side, everything will come easier. I am
sure of it.
No comments:
Post a Comment